Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Covering Country Clutter with Chalkboards



I love using chalkboard paint to cover 1980's country motifs for a simpler look! Not only does it cut down on the visual clutter, it also creates an ever-changeable message board. The flat black color goes with anything ~ even if the chalkboard is left blank it'll look good.
I picked this little kitchen shelf up at a thrift store. Using a small screwdriver, I lifted the plastic sign out from the center and sanded off most of the engraved country motif. After washing & drying it, I sprayed 2 light coats of Rustoleum Chalkboard Paint onto the surface & set it aside to dry.
I painted the shelf using 1 red coat of Plaid's new DecoArt Chalky Finish Paint  (Romance) which has great adhesion coverage! Since it dries so quickly, I was able to sand/distress the same day, just around the edges to add an aged look. After dusting the sanded edges with a clean paint brush, I rubbed an even coat of oil-based Walnut furniture stain over the surface & allowed a couple of days drying time. Using wood glue, I reattached the plastic chalkboard  in it's spot ~ and now have a cute garden room shelf with drawers to hold my seeds.  



redshedvintage.com© copyright 2014
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment