Monday, February 3, 2014

Faux Pewter Chocolate Molds

This makeover of mine was featured in the Spring 2012 issue of A Primitive Place Magazine!

Sometimes the package is better than the gift, as was the case with these discarded clear plastic treat containers shaped like chocolate bunnies. These looked so much like antique chocolate molds, I decided to hang on to them and go with the faux. Faux Pewter, that is.
Using inexpensive flat black spray paint, I covered the exterior of these clear plastic candy holders. When dry, I added two coats of Dark Patina by DecoArt Dazzling Metallics (available at Michael’s Arts and Crafts) and allowed drying time. To add a darker patina look, I brushed on some Old English Scratch Cover, wiped the excess with a rag, and sealed with a liberal coat of clear acrylic gloss sealer spray. This same process also works great on discarded plastic egg containers, resulting in a new and improved way to recycle plastics and make holiday decorations on the cheap.
redshedvintage.com© copyright 2014




1 comment:

  1. Donna this is still one of the most inspiring makeover to me. I think I'm heading to the dollar store today to see if I can find some already out this year.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete